Skip to main content

When I Was Little, My Mother and Dad Taught Me to Work


Son, when I was little, my mother and dad taught me to work.

Dad taught me to wash the car, we scrubbed that red "Rudolph" Corolla together when I was two.

Mom taught me how to tidy my room, we gathered up my toys and stashed them away where they belonged when I was three years old. I complained about it once and asked to live at Grandma's house instead. A phonecall later found out that if I lived at Grandma Reesa's, I was required to clean up there too... 

Dad and Mom taught me the value of money, and after each allowance from weekly chores, they helped me give 10% to the Lord, put 50% in the bank for savings, and left 40% in an empty peanut butter jar as spending money. When I was four, I remember Dad sitting with me at the kitchen table and explaining that two nickels equaled a dime, and ten dimes equaled a dollar, and so on.

When I was five, mom handed me a spray water bottle and a rag and taught me to scour the baseboards. Squirt, scrub the dirt, wipe dry. 

Growing up, we always had after dinner jobs or "ADJ's." At six years old I tried to maneuver the dustpan after sweeping (I'm quite certain that mom and dad did all the hard work in sweeping and I just did my little piece at the end). Dad blasted his music, and between cleaning we danced to Boston and Styx while using the broom as a guitar and wooden spoons as microphones.

Dad put me behind the lawn mower at seven years old and pushed beside me til the backyard was trimmed. I'm sure I left lots of "bad haircuts," but years of practice and lawn tutelage followed, and now I know what to do to make a five-dollar-lawn happen (not that it always happens...)

At eight, mom stood with me in the kitchen as I prepared my first cake from scratch. She did the oven part, but the rest of the time, we were a duo. I was so proud to serve it up to my cousins at the family party that night.

At nine, I scrubbed toilets. With four younger brothers, this was by far the grossest job. I whined. I howled with indignant fury. I procrastinated. But I did the work and re-did the work until my parents approved it as having done "a mom job" or "a dad job" in cleaning it properly.

There are plenty more stories, Charlie boy. There are plenty of jobs well done and jobs flopped in my history. But I'm forever grateful for the mundane and the nasty and the difficult jobs I learned to do by my parents' sides. Nothing truly clean, virtuous, organized, or functional ever came about spontaneously--it was the result of working hard at work worth doing. I'm sure it would have been easier for them to do it themselves, but involving me has made all the difference in my life. 

So baby boy, that's why your Daddy and I strap you to our chests while we're vacuuming the church, scrubbing the car, and washing the dishes. My mother and dad taught me to work. And your mother and dad want to teach you the same.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Chick Flicks.

I really, really, really enjoy a select few movies that I willingly watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice is one of them. You see, Elizabeth's defense of her family, her sense of self respect, her ability to admit that she was wrong and to appreciate Darcy despite all his quirks, and quizzical brow-ness... it's marvelous. My husband doesn't share the sentiment, could you tell? ... and that's okay. There's rare a chick flick I enjoy near as much as I enjoy Pride and Prejudice or A Walk To Remember , and I wanted to explain why. You see, there's more than just a few problems with (many, not all) chick flicks:  (and if you have a chick flick that escapes many of these pitfalls then please oh please leave it's title in the comment section!) The heroine (or suitor) is less than honorable. I have a hard time rooting for a girl to get a gentleman when she's spending her time being scandalously loose with other men ( #thenotebook) . An

A Year and 10 Days Ago

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and you lovely random passerby of the Blogosphere-- A year and 10 days ago I set out on a journey to write a blog post a day, for two months straight. I did that successfully, and then decided to extend my challenge to a one-year challenge. My report? I wrote 317 blog posts in a 365-day period. And I think that's pretty rad. A few reflections on this experience: Firstly, I started this blog not just because I love writing, but because I needed help. I was suffering from some intense postpartum anxiety, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Every moment of every day I felt like I was under severe stress and pressure, even when there were no evident triggers for such. The feeling in my gut on an almost constant basis felt like the queasy stomach, racing heartbeat, and unsettled mind that greeted me before every math test and job interview I've had growing up. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how

the grouch

he came home to the grouch. normally silly and sass, she was snippy and sour in lieu of laughter, sarcasm instead of sweetness... a lemon-tart  BONAFIDE GRUMP . He kissed her anyways. He held her anyways. He did the dishes anyways, and cheered up the screamy baby and cheered up the house. He melted the iceblock that had molded over her heart over the frustrations of the day because she allowed the demons of disaster to chill her joy. He melted her, all over again, he melted that grouch. That...that is true love. And that's just one reason I love 'im.