Skip to main content

Umm, so, WATCHING MARY POPPINS AS AN ADULT. I have so many questions.

Today I half-watched Mary Poppins as I took care of my little one and quilted a little bit. You know, the classic with the classy Julie Andrews and charming Dick Van Dyke. I have fond memories of the film from my childhood.



But for some reason, so many elements to the movie totally skipped my memory or flew over my head as a kidlet. So today I share some of the things that confused me, surprised me, and/or blew my mind.
1. 


1. THE OWNER OF THE FIDELITY FIDUCIARY BANK (the old man that hobbles around and nearly topples over a jillion times during the bank song) was listed as being played by "Navckid Keyd." But when the credits rolled, that name got un-scrambled-up after a few seconds and revealed that this character is played by none other than Dick Van Dyke, who also plays Bert! Gah! I feel like I have to watch it all over again now that I know.

2. Who the heck is Uncle Albert, and why does he compulsively laugh (or cry)? Whose uncle is he? And why are Bert ant Mary responsible for helping him calm down?? 

3. Also, building off the last question, why does Mary Poppins condemn his laughter so much, and say to Bert, "you're just as bad as he is?" I was very confused by her actions in this movie and the extremes of them. If she's trying to encourage play and positivity (and ultimately help the Banks family form healthy, involved relationships) why does she jump from horse races in chalk drawings to her serious tone and condemning of frivolity?

4. What is Mary's connection to the woman that feeds the birds, and why is she so important to her (enough that Mary would sing a lullaby about her to Michael and Jane?). I realize that the idea of buying bread crumbs was a way to teach charity, towards the woman and the birds, but there's so much feeling in the song I can't help but wonder if there's more to it.

5. In "Saving Mr. Banks," a film that details the backstory to the book and the movie of Mary Poppins, mainly talks about the difficulties of the author (and of Jane and Michael) in loving a neglectful father and wanting him to change. But as you watch the movie, it's very plain to see that the mother is equally absent from the children's lives. She leaves for women's rights rallies, even when her children don't have a babysitter. She pawns them off on Bert--a man she's never before met and who just walked her children home from a backstreet in the city-- in a flighty, desperate way. Why is this mother with confused priorities forgotten in the dialogue about mending family relationships?

6. Mary Poppins (or rather, her script writers) invented the phrase "spit spot", which means something along the lines of "hurry up", or "come on." 

7. What is Bert's real job? It seems like he's a jack of all trades, convenient to the needs of the story... he makes chalk drawings for them to hop into, sweeps chimneys which gives him an excuse to run into the children in the inner city, and sells kites so that everyone can be flying a kite for the ending scene. 

That's it for now, but now I'm curious... what about Mary Poppins intrigues you or ignites your curiosity? What do you notice about the film now that you're grown that you didn't notice as a child?

Comments

  1. So . . . Books! I haven't read them yet, but, apparently, Mary Poppins is actually slightly vain (practically perfect in every way, yes?) and actually didn't want to feed the birds. Those are the differences that I've been informed of. That might help . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely helps, I'm realizing that reading the books will probably help me a lot in understanding her haha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Chick Flicks.

I really, really, really enjoy a select few movies that I willingly watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice is one of them. You see, Elizabeth's defense of her family, her sense of self respect, her ability to admit that she was wrong and to appreciate Darcy despite all his quirks, and quizzical brow-ness... it's marvelous. My husband doesn't share the sentiment, could you tell? ... and that's okay. There's rare a chick flick I enjoy near as much as I enjoy Pride and Prejudice or A Walk To Remember , and I wanted to explain why. You see, there's more than just a few problems with (many, not all) chick flicks:  (and if you have a chick flick that escapes many of these pitfalls then please oh please leave it's title in the comment section!) The heroine (or suitor) is less than honorable. I have a hard time rooting for a girl to get a gentleman when she's spending her time being scandalously loose with other men ( #thenotebook) . An

A Year and 10 Days Ago

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and you lovely random passerby of the Blogosphere-- A year and 10 days ago I set out on a journey to write a blog post a day, for two months straight. I did that successfully, and then decided to extend my challenge to a one-year challenge. My report? I wrote 317 blog posts in a 365-day period. And I think that's pretty rad. A few reflections on this experience: Firstly, I started this blog not just because I love writing, but because I needed help. I was suffering from some intense postpartum anxiety, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Every moment of every day I felt like I was under severe stress and pressure, even when there were no evident triggers for such. The feeling in my gut on an almost constant basis felt like the queasy stomach, racing heartbeat, and unsettled mind that greeted me before every math test and job interview I've had growing up. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how

the grouch

he came home to the grouch. normally silly and sass, she was snippy and sour in lieu of laughter, sarcasm instead of sweetness... a lemon-tart  BONAFIDE GRUMP . He kissed her anyways. He held her anyways. He did the dishes anyways, and cheered up the screamy baby and cheered up the house. He melted the iceblock that had molded over her heart over the frustrations of the day because she allowed the demons of disaster to chill her joy. He melted her, all over again, he melted that grouch. That...that is true love. And that's just one reason I love 'im.