Skip to main content

Working Mom

I've had some reservations about how to express myself in this post, but I'm just gonna go for it!

I never in my life planned to be a "working mom" (that phrase makes me smirk a little because it's like saying a word twice, in a sense. Moms are ALWAYS working, its just the nature of us, we are constantly doing what we can to be there for our littles and it's exhausting). But for all intents and purposes, you know what "working mom" means in this post. Those with workplaces, jobs, you know.

Just like your life goes, my life hasn't gone exactly according to the plans I made. My lovely friend Katelyn and I have chatted a few times about how her five-year plan for the next stage of her life always gets scrambled by a loving God. That's how it's gone for me, too. But the changes are part of what makes life so beautiful.

I don't intend to be a working mom forever, and there's more than one reason why I'm a working professional at the current moment. But the thing is, becoming a mother while simultaneously growing in my career as a teacher has been one of the most INCREDIBLE experiences (and challenges!) for my little family.
By the way, This post is not meant to be an endorsement or condemnation of any sort of working decision of any mother anywhere.
It's just, quite simply, my story. OUR story, of Kevin & Charlie & me.
I want to share a few of my many thoughts about my experience being a working mom.

#1--I capitalize on the precious time I do spend with my family, and I genuinely feel that they do the same for me. Our relationships are growing. When I'm dressing baby munch in the mornings, I chat with him and kiss his cheeks and tousle his hair. I tell him that I hope he has a fantastic day with Grandma and that he makes his uncles laugh (cuz golly I sure know those brothers of mine are going to make him laugh). I spend the first ten minutes waking up talking with my husband and holding him tight. At lunch I call my husband and he gives me an update about his day thus far, including how Charlie was on the ride to Grandma's house, etc. After work I pick up my boy, chat with my parents and siblings for a little, and make the trek back to my little home. Evenings are spent cooking dinner as a threesome (our baby is mostly job shadowing in the kitchen right now, but he'll be a sous chef before you know it), chatting about what we learned and experienced while we were out, reading stories, singing songs, studying scriptures, listening to the Eagles and Mindy Gledhill, and feeding that chunky kid till his eyes flutter shut. We tuck him into bed and spend the last hours tidying the house, packing lunches, doing dishes, writing blogposts, sneaking a kiss in between it all, and crashing at our own bedtime (when we get to it). Here's a selfie of me with a freshly bathed Charlie baby--see my tired eyes and bedraggled hair? Comes with the territory.



#2--We look for extra time to spend together. We're not perfect at it, but when we can, we go for it. Kevin met me for dinner during my 45 minute dinner break during Parent Teacher Conferences several weeks back. Here's me and my kidlet standing behind my desk in my classroom.



#3--I'm not the first, and I'm not alone. Two incredible women in my life, my mom and my mother-in-law, both found themselves in the workplace while being mothers of small children. And might I say, they ROCKED it at work AND at home! At my school I am surrounded by incredible women who are, additionally, hard-working mothers of both small children and adult children and stepchildren and I LOVE the sisterhood and support I feel from them.
Additionally, Charlie gets to spend the day with my incredible mother (who knows from her own experience what it's like for me). She's over the moon about being a grandma, and my son couldn't be in better hands. Just look at the two of them together...



#4--I often call myself a "substitute mom" of 64 BEAUTIFUL children. For 6 or so hours a day, my responsibility and my joy (and, admittedly, my anxiety) is to look after these youngsters as I guide them the best I know how in their academic, social, and emotional progression. Any amount of words are insufficient to describe how teaching has blessed my capacity to love my own child by loving and supporting other children. Additionally, I have learned a great deal from the parents of my own students as many of them volunteer in my classroom and in other correspondence I have with them. And with that, I FREAKING LOVE seeing my students figure out how to make a slides presentation on a habitat, how to write a drama, how to read in a storytelling voice. Teaching is the most taxing and rewarding profession I know of.

#6--I'm constantly comforted by a loving God who knows my heart, knows my situation, knows my husband, knows my kid, knows the kids I teach and knows what each of us are capable of becoming. And he knows all of us need each other right now. And I trust in that.

Lastly...
Shout out to all moms, everywhere. You're loved. Your kids are blessed by every effort you make to provide for their temporal and emotional and spiritual needs. You rock.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Mik. Beautifully said. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too <3 (So I actually can't see which Borens are posting this... I'm assuming Ted & Kelli, but if you're somebody else, let me know haha :)

      Delete
  3. Amen to what you said about Charlie being in good hands. :) It must be fun for you to get to talk to your mom and bros a bit every day as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Chick Flicks.

I really, really, really enjoy a select few movies that I willingly watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice is one of them. You see, Elizabeth's defense of her family, her sense of self respect, her ability to admit that she was wrong and to appreciate Darcy despite all his quirks, and quizzical brow-ness... it's marvelous. My husband doesn't share the sentiment, could you tell? ... and that's okay. There's rare a chick flick I enjoy near as much as I enjoy Pride and Prejudice or A Walk To Remember , and I wanted to explain why. You see, there's more than just a few problems with (many, not all) chick flicks:  (and if you have a chick flick that escapes many of these pitfalls then please oh please leave it's title in the comment section!) The heroine (or suitor) is less than honorable. I have a hard time rooting for a girl to get a gentleman when she's spending her time being scandalously loose with other men ( #thenotebook) . An

A Year and 10 Days Ago

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and you lovely random passerby of the Blogosphere-- A year and 10 days ago I set out on a journey to write a blog post a day, for two months straight. I did that successfully, and then decided to extend my challenge to a one-year challenge. My report? I wrote 317 blog posts in a 365-day period. And I think that's pretty rad. A few reflections on this experience: Firstly, I started this blog not just because I love writing, but because I needed help. I was suffering from some intense postpartum anxiety, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Every moment of every day I felt like I was under severe stress and pressure, even when there were no evident triggers for such. The feeling in my gut on an almost constant basis felt like the queasy stomach, racing heartbeat, and unsettled mind that greeted me before every math test and job interview I've had growing up. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how

the grouch

he came home to the grouch. normally silly and sass, she was snippy and sour in lieu of laughter, sarcasm instead of sweetness... a lemon-tart  BONAFIDE GRUMP . He kissed her anyways. He held her anyways. He did the dishes anyways, and cheered up the screamy baby and cheered up the house. He melted the iceblock that had molded over her heart over the frustrations of the day because she allowed the demons of disaster to chill her joy. He melted her, all over again, he melted that grouch. That...that is true love. And that's just one reason I love 'im.