Skip to main content

Things I Look Forward To

In my High School yearbooks, the students of the graduating class each year got to choose a quote to accompany their picture. I'm pretty sure mine was by Dr. Seuss, but to be honest, I can't rightly recall. However, I distinctly remember a quote that my friend, Cami, included beneath her picture, I've thought of it often throughout the years:

"I believe the secret to life is someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to."
-Elvis Presley

I've found a lot of truth in that. I'm a lucky girl, and I've never had a shortage of people to love--and honestly, I can't think of a day when I haven't had plenty of things to do (or should do). But when I find myself in an emotional slump, I sometimes think of this quote. It doesn't always work, because heartaches and letdowns are real, but often my spirits have been cheered when I remember something wonderful coming up in my life. Here's a few I've got cooking in my looking-forward-to kitchen at present (in no particular order):


  • Easter. I'm excited to celebrate my Savior, Jesus Christ's, triumph over death and hell on my behalf. 
    • Additionally, this will be the first year that I (SPOILER FOR KIDS) get to assemble an Easter basket for my son and help him hunt for Easter eggs on Easter morning. Last year he was but a wee babe, this year he's a toddler. And I'm ecstatic!
  • General Conference. For reals, I love hearing the words of the leaders of my church. They speak to us semi-annually, and the first weekend in April and the first weekend in October are a real treat to my soul.
  • My 4th anniversary with my sweetheart, Kevin. 
  • Grocery shopping next week. I discovered that the grocery store I've begun shopping at in my new town sells soft pretzels and nacho cheese, one of the slummy delicacies of life I delight in indulging in. I bought one yesterday after finishing the shopping chore, and to be honest, I can hardly wait for next Monday so that I can have another.
  • My brother lent me two books he said are on his "top-10-of-all-time" list. I'm both intrigued and terrified (intrigued because I want to know why they are his favorites. Terrified because I know that once I start reading there will be no stopping and I tend to neglect important chores and neglect bedtime when I'm immersed in a captivating story).
  • This summer I'll be traveling to Idaho at least three times; for a wedding and two family trips/reunions. There'll be national parks, lakewater, and traditional family recipes to be had.
  • Payday. I'll be honest, I look forward to money. Seeing our savings accounts increase--no matter how minimally or maximally--helps me feel some security and pride.
  • Mom's homemade rolls. There's not a specific date for this one, but I get to have them at least once a month at family dinners. Ask anyone, there's none that compare to hers.
  • Playing a game of Ticket to Ride. This one happens just about any time anybody comes to call at our house. And it's just plain fun.
  • The arrival of our second baby, this September 💕
  • Thanksgiving and Christmas. Yes, I'm already stoked for this year's holidays!
If you're having a hard day, I invite you to try to right it a little by writing down some good things coming up in your life, no matter how menial. I'm already feeling overall a lot happier at the end of this post than I was at the beginning. God is good. Life is good. It will all work out.



Day #313

Comments

  1. WHATT!!!! New baby!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! Yep we’re a family of four now 💙

      Delete
  2. Love your last paragraph. This is great advice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Chick Flicks.

I really, really, really enjoy a select few movies that I willingly watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice is one of them. You see, Elizabeth's defense of her family, her sense of self respect, her ability to admit that she was wrong and to appreciate Darcy despite all his quirks, and quizzical brow-ness... it's marvelous. My husband doesn't share the sentiment, could you tell? ... and that's okay. There's rare a chick flick I enjoy near as much as I enjoy Pride and Prejudice or A Walk To Remember , and I wanted to explain why. You see, there's more than just a few problems with (many, not all) chick flicks:  (and if you have a chick flick that escapes many of these pitfalls then please oh please leave it's title in the comment section!) The heroine (or suitor) is less than honorable. I have a hard time rooting for a girl to get a gentleman when she's spending her time being scandalously loose with other men ( #thenotebook) . An

A Year and 10 Days Ago

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and you lovely random passerby of the Blogosphere-- A year and 10 days ago I set out on a journey to write a blog post a day, for two months straight. I did that successfully, and then decided to extend my challenge to a one-year challenge. My report? I wrote 317 blog posts in a 365-day period. And I think that's pretty rad. A few reflections on this experience: Firstly, I started this blog not just because I love writing, but because I needed help. I was suffering from some intense postpartum anxiety, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Every moment of every day I felt like I was under severe stress and pressure, even when there were no evident triggers for such. The feeling in my gut on an almost constant basis felt like the queasy stomach, racing heartbeat, and unsettled mind that greeted me before every math test and job interview I've had growing up. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how

the grouch

he came home to the grouch. normally silly and sass, she was snippy and sour in lieu of laughter, sarcasm instead of sweetness... a lemon-tart  BONAFIDE GRUMP . He kissed her anyways. He held her anyways. He did the dishes anyways, and cheered up the screamy baby and cheered up the house. He melted the iceblock that had molded over her heart over the frustrations of the day because she allowed the demons of disaster to chill her joy. He melted her, all over again, he melted that grouch. That...that is true love. And that's just one reason I love 'im.