Skip to main content

Moe's Story

I was intrigued and touched last week by a BYU Ted Talk I listened to while folding my ominously large pile of laundry. Part of the talk is given by Moe Egan, who shares his incredible story about his past life as a convict and addict. He and his mentor, Tim Stay, share the story of his recovery and change through the help of true friends and his peers and mentors at "The Other Side Academy." 




As I listened to Moe's story, my heart particularly cried out to him as he talked about his childhood. His moral education (among other things!) was neglected by his family and other adults who should have been looking out for him. This awful beginning spiraled him into a dark pattern of immoral and illegal behavior.

BUT MOE WANTED TO CHANGE. He knew what he was doing wasn't right, but he hadn't had a pattern or example or friend group strong enough to aid him in that transformation. It wasn't until he landed in prison (not the first time he was there, I might add) that he finally flipped a switch and searched for a method to get him out of his perilous behaviors. Moe attended an academy that enabled him to not only live clean from substances but also to live clean in the way he interacted with other people in every type of situation. It was TREMENDOUSLY hard for him--he'd spend 20+ years living as a liar, a cheat, a user--and now he was suddenly trying to consistently tell the truth, speak kindly to others, etc. He shares that his bad habits could only be replaced by consistently practicing good habits OVER and OVER and OVER again. What was also essential to his growth was the blunt honesty of those around him who knew what he was messing up on and knew what it would take for him to change. He's now been clean for over a decade, owns his own home, and has a successful career (which includes his being a mentor to other former convicts who are CHANGING for the better).

Things I learned from listening to Moe & Tim:
  1. We have no place to say that anyone can't change their situation or change themselves. And if we're in a position to mentor, help, etc, we ought to. But more than anything, we shouldn't judge or discourage others who have made mistakes and are trying to change, from anything as major as overcoming a drug addiction to something as simple as quitting nail biting. Personally, I want to work on encouraging people in their goals (myself included!) instead of joining a band wagon of doubting and/or making excuses for a lack of change.
  2. There are lots of kids and adults alike that haven't had a "good example" for any number of reasons. Poor hygiene? Maybe they weren't there for the deodorant part of 5th grade maturation class. Unkempt lawn? Maybe they never learned how. Habit of cussing? Their parents (or in my case, my grandpa [but just to clarify I haven't cussed since I was little lol]) probably did it. They might need your help to know how to change. Depending on the person, let's you and I not just up and solicit your services. But if they need it and ask for it (or if the spirit of God moves upon us to help out) let's be there. And if we're the one that needs help to change--let's do it!
  3. True change takes time. We can't expect to be our best selves overnight.
  4. And in my heart this whole time, I've felt the reality that all this wonderful change is possible through the redeeming power of Jesus Christ.
Let's hear it for Change. Let's hear it for everyone that's put their behind in their past (haha, anyone catch that quote?) *AHEM* I mean put their past behind them. Let's hear it for becoming our best selves. Let's hear it for Moe!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Chick Flicks.

I really, really, really enjoy a select few movies that I willingly watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice is one of them. You see, Elizabeth's defense of her family, her sense of self respect, her ability to admit that she was wrong and to appreciate Darcy despite all his quirks, and quizzical brow-ness... it's marvelous. My husband doesn't share the sentiment, could you tell? ... and that's okay. There's rare a chick flick I enjoy near as much as I enjoy Pride and Prejudice or A Walk To Remember , and I wanted to explain why. You see, there's more than just a few problems with (many, not all) chick flicks:  (and if you have a chick flick that escapes many of these pitfalls then please oh please leave it's title in the comment section!) The heroine (or suitor) is less than honorable. I have a hard time rooting for a girl to get a gentleman when she's spending her time being scandalously loose with other men ( #thenotebook) . An

A Year and 10 Days Ago

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and you lovely random passerby of the Blogosphere-- A year and 10 days ago I set out on a journey to write a blog post a day, for two months straight. I did that successfully, and then decided to extend my challenge to a one-year challenge. My report? I wrote 317 blog posts in a 365-day period. And I think that's pretty rad. A few reflections on this experience: Firstly, I started this blog not just because I love writing, but because I needed help. I was suffering from some intense postpartum anxiety, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Every moment of every day I felt like I was under severe stress and pressure, even when there were no evident triggers for such. The feeling in my gut on an almost constant basis felt like the queasy stomach, racing heartbeat, and unsettled mind that greeted me before every math test and job interview I've had growing up. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how

the grouch

he came home to the grouch. normally silly and sass, she was snippy and sour in lieu of laughter, sarcasm instead of sweetness... a lemon-tart  BONAFIDE GRUMP . He kissed her anyways. He held her anyways. He did the dishes anyways, and cheered up the screamy baby and cheered up the house. He melted the iceblock that had molded over her heart over the frustrations of the day because she allowed the demons of disaster to chill her joy. He melted her, all over again, he melted that grouch. That...that is true love. And that's just one reason I love 'im.