Skip to main content

To My Teacher Self

TO MY TEACHER SELF
Girlfriend, I miss you.

It's not to say I'm not happy being a stay-at-home mom--truly, I love seeing the kidlet struggling up on all fours as he figures out the crawling thing.  But I miss you, that teacher you.

Lady, you sure had a GREAT gig going on at that rockin' elementary school, and YOU LOVED IT.

Room five was your other home.
The smells of crayons came like a wave of welcome each morning at 7:29 (or 7:35 if it was a rough morning), and your mind started to race in full-gear preparation mode.

I miss how you greeted each class with gusto as you went to pick them up, "HELLO, BLUE CLASS! HELLO, YELLOW CLASS!" and how they responded with bright smiles.

I miss how you asked your students at the start of class "0 to 5, 5 being the best, how are you feeling today and why?" and you'd listen to their responses, relating everything from excitement over a new hamster to mourning after the Jazz game last night to longing for their triplet cousins in Florida.

I miss how you'd chat with the other teacher peeps in the Faculty Room, a place where--in your mutual, unique career way--you all just UNDERSTOOD each other. You celebrated and mourned and laughed and groaned teacher-things together.

I miss how your students would gather around you for guided reading, shared reading, read-aloud, mini meeting... how they'd gather around you at lunch time to give you the apples they didn't eat instead of throwing them away... how they'd gather around you to hug you at the end of the day and tell you they loved you. Children express their love unreservedly, and you admire that.

Let's be real though, I don't miss the stressed-out you when piles of papers to be graded and journals unread and emails unopened loomed expectantly at you from the edges of your desk.

A piece of me misses how you would weep at night when you worried about your 64 little pupil humans. You worried about whether or not you were good enough to teach them all they needed to know, and whether or not you would be able to tolerate each other the whole year through, and whether or not they were progressing on the Lexia learning program, and whether or not you were giving them all the love they needed.

I miss how at the end of the day, you'd have a slew of fabulous stories of 3rd grade wonders to tell your husband and family and friends. You have enough material to write an intriguing book or two by now.

I miss how anything Harry Potter related sent any student from any grade to talk to you to tell you about it (and they'd tell Mrs. Naval, too. You both had that HP teacher vibe).

I miss how, when your class was ROWDY, you'd grab their attention by belting a song.

I miss your nickname, "Mrs. J."

So like, I know we didn't break up or anything (because well... I'm you... and you're me) but I miss that TEACHER-you. And I hope we can be together again in 20 years or so.

Miss you, sister.





Comments

  1. I can relate to this post on so many levels. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Hermanita! (I feel like I could write a post "to my missionary self" too ;) Hope you and your beautiful little fam are doing well!

      Delete
  2. You are a terrific teacher! Thank you for putting all your heart and soul into teaching my son and his buddies. They will always remember you .Enjoy this time with your baby. Babies grow up way too quick .You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! Give my best to Ryan and his friends. Thanks for being so supportive of my teaching (and supportive of my quitting to be at home!). God bless

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Chick Flicks.

I really, really, really enjoy a select few movies that I willingly watch over and over again. Pride and Prejudice is one of them. You see, Elizabeth's defense of her family, her sense of self respect, her ability to admit that she was wrong and to appreciate Darcy despite all his quirks, and quizzical brow-ness... it's marvelous. My husband doesn't share the sentiment, could you tell? ... and that's okay. There's rare a chick flick I enjoy near as much as I enjoy Pride and Prejudice or A Walk To Remember , and I wanted to explain why. You see, there's more than just a few problems with (many, not all) chick flicks:  (and if you have a chick flick that escapes many of these pitfalls then please oh please leave it's title in the comment section!) The heroine (or suitor) is less than honorable. I have a hard time rooting for a girl to get a gentleman when she's spending her time being scandalously loose with other men ( #thenotebook) . An

A Year and 10 Days Ago

Dear Friends, Family, Acquaintances, and you lovely random passerby of the Blogosphere-- A year and 10 days ago I set out on a journey to write a blog post a day, for two months straight. I did that successfully, and then decided to extend my challenge to a one-year challenge. My report? I wrote 317 blog posts in a 365-day period. And I think that's pretty rad. A few reflections on this experience: Firstly, I started this blog not just because I love writing, but because I needed help. I was suffering from some intense postpartum anxiety, but I didn't know that's what it was at the time. Every moment of every day I felt like I was under severe stress and pressure, even when there were no evident triggers for such. The feeling in my gut on an almost constant basis felt like the queasy stomach, racing heartbeat, and unsettled mind that greeted me before every math test and job interview I've had growing up. I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know how

the grouch

he came home to the grouch. normally silly and sass, she was snippy and sour in lieu of laughter, sarcasm instead of sweetness... a lemon-tart  BONAFIDE GRUMP . He kissed her anyways. He held her anyways. He did the dishes anyways, and cheered up the screamy baby and cheered up the house. He melted the iceblock that had molded over her heart over the frustrations of the day because she allowed the demons of disaster to chill her joy. He melted her, all over again, he melted that grouch. That...that is true love. And that's just one reason I love 'im.